Monday 30 January 2012

It's all gone a bit creepy...

At the moment I've switched over to the dark side and felt a need to share the evil within me with those around me... I am working on a short story called 'Night Terrors' based on my childhood belief that a monstrous creature lived at the end of my bed, I am hoping that a bit of purging will do wonders for the child within me... we'll see.
I have been using a lot of blue to depict nighttime lighting- it turned out to be a lot trickier than I thought and I have had mixed success, the above picture; which I have pretentiously named 'Ghostly Stigmata' is probably the best example of it working well so far.
The story itself bled from the initial description of my nighttime fears into a chance to air some issues about motherhood, love and desire. Whether this comes across well remains to be seen but I am of the opinion that you don't always have to lay it on the line in a painting by number style- you can let the work speak for itself.
I will also admit to a definite swaying of style heavily influenced by 'Arkham Asylum' a most wonderfully appreciated Christmas gift. I obviously know that I am outflanked and outclassed 100% by this most wonderful graphic novel but I will serve my clumsy homage up to anyone who wishes to see it.
So, two pages to go still, which in real terms would take most professional artists about a day to complete, with my mothering, cleaning, working, general dogsbodying to take in account it may well be finished in a couple of months. Watch this space!

2 comments: